A consensus algorithm in blockchain technology can be either permissionless or permissioned. The blockchains of Bitcoin (BTC) and Ethereum (ETH) are permissionless. While the blockchain of a tech company called Apla is permissioned.
About Permissioned Blockchain
- Pre-authenticated nodes are present in a permissioned blockchain
- Therefore, PoA can be used in the permissioned blockchain to provide a high transaction rate and other benefits.
In PoA, if a node passes a preliminary authentication, then the node will gain authority for the creation of a new block.
Advantages of PoA
- Nodes don’t require high-performance hardware. The spending of computational resources is not required to solve mathematical equations
- The prediction of the interval of time at which a node creates a new block is possible. The interval of time varies for consensus protocols like Proof-of-Work (PoW) and Proof-of-Stake (PoS)
- A high transaction rate is provided by PoA. Authorized network nodes create blocks in a sequence. The creation of a block requires a fixed time interval. The speed of the validation of transactions is increased
- The authority for the creation of blocks can be taken back. PoA will remove a node from a group of validating nodes due to the unavailability of the node for a new block to completion.
An Example Of Denial-of-Service (DoS) Attack
A Denial-of-Service (DoS) attack is recognized as a cyber attack. In the DoS, an attacker targets users and makes machine or network resources unavailable for them. The services of a host are disrupted for a short period of time. They are also disrupted for an unlimited or unspecified period of time.
Pre-authenticated nodes are present in a network. Therefore, nodes who can resist DoS will be provided with authorities for the creation of new blocks.
- If an attacker has control over 51% of the computational power of a network, then a 51% attack will be possible
- The 51% attack of PoA is not like a 51% attack of PoW
- If an attacker has control over 51% of the nodes of a network, then a 51% attack will be possible.
- It is difficult to gain control over nodes in a permissioned blockchain network.
* In PoW, if an attacker increases the computation power of the controlled network segment, then the controlled percentage will be increased. In PoA, the decision in a network will not be affected by the computational power of a node.
This article is for informational purposes only. The information is provided by What Is Proof-of-Authority (PoA)- Part 1 and while we endeavor to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the post for any purpose. It is not an offer or solicitation of an offer to buy or sell, or a recommendation, endorsement, or sponsorship of any products, services, or companies. The Blockchain Cafe does not provide investment, tax, legal, or accounting advice. Neither the company nor the author is responsible, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any content, goods or services mentioned in this article.